I thought I’d take a moment to show you all a dresser that I worked my DIY magic on.  About a year ago I was given a really ugly dresser.  I didn’t take a picture of it, but here’s a dresser with similar wood apliques.  I found it by googling “ugly 1970’s dresser.”

My first impression was, “Ew.  No thanks.”  Sometimes it’s difficult to look at something and see that it could ever be anything other than an ugly piece of crap.  I’ve refinished a dresser like this before, and knew how much work would be involved.  I wanted no part in it, but when Mike told me he’d help, we brought it home.
Now, you might think that the drawer fronts of this dresser are carved, but you would be wrong.  Those are simply wood apliques glued/nailed  to the drawer fronts.  If you are very careful with, say, a flat screwdriver or chisel and a hammer, you can pry them off.  Keep in mind that there will be damage and/or nail holes to fill once the apliques are removed, which means that you will probably want to paint the fronts, not stain them.
Well, Mike never did end up helping, but I managed to finally finish the job myself, and I couldn’t be happier with the result.  What do you think?

The drawers are painted with a striae effect in white melamine paint, and sealed with three coats of Minwax Polycrylic in clear gloss.

The original ugly drawer pulls were removed, and I used a spade bit to bore holes in the drawer fronts.  This was economical because I didn’t have to invest in new drawer hardware, and instantly made my dresser feel more modern.

The body of the dresser was stained with about 4 or 5 coats of Minwax stain in Bombay Mahogany.  It is almost black.  If I were to do it again, I would totally skip the stain and opt for black paint.  

I lined the drawers with a vinyl-y scrapbook paper, in 9 different patterns, all in the same white and red-orange hue.

Here’s the cost analysis for this project:
Dresser:                  $0
Paint:                      $0  (already had)
Stain:                      $16
Polyacrylic:            $0  (already had)
Scrapbook paper:   $17 
Not a bad dresser for $33!

12 thoughts on “DIY Awesomeness: Master Bedroom Dresser Reveal

  1. NaughtyBaubles

    Wow what a transformation!! I love how modern the dresser looks now and the added touch of color and pattern on the inside is lovely. I really wish I had the time and space to do something like..

    A new follower from the Market Your Biz & Giveaway Party Hop!! Happy to meet you :)

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *